Leaders of non-profit organizations prefer to focus on fulfilling the organization’s mission and resources. Guidance from legal counsel with special expertise in federal and state laws applicable to non-profit organizations enables leaders to sustain and expand the organization with assurance that they are in compliance with tax and legal requirements.
From forming non-profit organizations to obtaining tax-exempt status from the IRS, to complying with federal and state laws governing fund-raising and operations, the advice of experienced legal counsel is crucial.
We have the experience, expertise, and resources to provide the counsel non-profit organizations need, when they need it.
While most of our clients are 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations, we represent many organizations that are tax-exempt under other categories of Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code, e.g., social welfare organizations exempt under 501(c)(4) and trade associations exempt under 501(c)(6). We also represent non-profit homeowners associations.
Our clients include the following:
- 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Charities of all types
- Private Foundations
- 501(c)(4) Social Welfare Organizations
- Business Leagues
- Advocacy Groups
- 501(c)(6) and Trade Associations and Professional Societies
- Social Clubs
In addition, we provide the following additional types of services for both non-profit organizations and individuals:
- charitable remainder trusts
- charitable lead income trusts
- conversion from profit to non-profit
- conversion form non-profit to profit
- director changes
- donor-advised funds
- IRS exemption applications
- leveraged transactions
- non-profit corporations
- with members
- without members
- low-profit LLCs
- private foundations
- private operating foundations
- dealing with IRS sanctions
- avoiding self-dealing transactions
- preparation of tax returns for non-profits and tax-exempts
- investment policies
- conflict of interest policies
- planning for unrelated business taxable income